Thursday, April 1, 2010

Eastertide

It's been a few weeks since my last update, but there isn't a whole lot new to report. I did get my financial aid from Calvin earlier this week, and at first glance it looks good -- so that's a bright spot. I need to study it more closely and 'plug in' the numbers to see for sure how things are shaping up.

Selling the house has been slow. We haven't shown it in over two weeks and in the last three weeks alone more than 30 homes have come on the market here in Sioux Center. This is a small place...30 homes is a lot! But we're still hoping and trusting in our risen Savior.

Speaking of Him, this isn't something I would normally talk about in public but I've found it to be a really good exercise. Today I've been doing something that I've never done before -- fasting.

I decided to do it today since we have Maundy Thursday service tonight and will celebrate the Lord's Supper. So I thought it would be good to not eat anything except for that today. Any of you who know me well know how much I love to eat, so I thought this would be a real stretch for me, and it was -- in some ways. However, I really must say that every time I felt hungry or heard my stomach growl I was reminded of His passion -- so it was a good exercise.

I tell you this not to 'brag' but to challenge you to try it sometime. It isn't a spiritual discipline that we practice much anymore today, but it wasn't as hard as I thought. I'm glad I did it and I could very well make this a regular spiritual discipline in my life.

Blessed Easter to you as we remember Christ's suffering and death and celebrate His victory over it!

No comments: