Thursday, April 22, 2010

Garage Sale

The Sioux Center City-Wide Garage Sales started yesterday. We've been busy sorting out our stuff the last few weeks and getting everything organized and yesterday we opened up our garage door for business. Goodness, have we sold a lot of stuff! It's amazing what you can get rid of if you really think hard about what you actually need (and don't need).

Sometimes I think I need to have a spiritual garage sale. I need step back and take inventory of my thoughts, emotions, and feelings and really decide if I should be thinking, feeling or acting in certain ways. What do I need to get rid of in my walk with God that will make it less cluttered? What am I storing in my spiritual basement that I just don't need, but am hanging on to, just in case?

I can think of a few things: fear, self-reliance, and worry to name a few. In much the same way that people come to my garage and help me get rid of my stuff, I need to have God come into my life on a daily basis and clean me up. Yes, he's done it once and for all on the cross, but that doesn't mean I get off scott-free.

Being faithful to God and his will is a constant and never-ending process. As soon as I think I've got it figured out and I don't need to get rid of anything else, that's when I find another corner that's still got some junk in it.

It's amazing what you can learn sitting at a card table in your garage....

No comments: