Saturday, October 16, 2010

Reading Week

It was “reading week” this week – we didn’t have regular classes this week, giving us the opportunity to catch up.  They also offer some ‘skill development courses’ which are one-week intensives on a variety of topics. I participated in the Hebrew Review Class this week to provide me some additional help and make sure I didn’t get too far behind.  It met for three hours a day Monday thru Thursday.  In addition, I worked a few hours in the Admissions Office and did some other studying.

This week also allowed me to spend just a little time reflecting on what has all happened to our family in the last several months.  Saturday, October 9th marked exactly three months since we arrived in Grand Rapids.  I was astounded this week at what has changed for us in that time – new home, new schools,  new church, new  friends, new routines, new jobs.  It’s been a whirlwind and through it all God has been so good.  We’ve had relatively few difficulties during this time of transition and the challenges that have presented themselves have been relatively minor.  We are blessed.

Yesterday afternoon was a beautiful fall day here in Grand Rapids.  Jessica had to sub in the afternoon, the older two kids were at school, and I didn’t have class, so I had the rare opportunity to spend several hours alone with Alex.  After we had lunch, we put on our jackets and went for a walk around the neighborhood.  He’ll be twenty months old soon and he’s learning so much.  We looked at the white clouds against the blue sky, we looked at the leaves both on the trees and on the ground, talked about being careful while crossing the street, pointed to an airplane in the sky, and waved to everyone that rode by in their ca-ca’s (cars). 

During that forty five minutes or so it occurred to me that I’m a lot like him.  There are so many things that I’ve learned in just a few months here and there are so many more things that I need to learn and will learn during my time at Calvin Seminary.  I’ve been in school about six weeks and I’m astounded at what I’ve already learned.  I also know how much I have to learn.

Alex has much to learn too, including how much both Jesus and I love him.  I too, still have a lot to learn about how much Jesus loves me.  I’m here to learn from others and I hope Alex (and all my kids) can learn from me.  That means I need to be a good example to them and continue to rely on appreciate God’s goodness and faithfulness and make sure I tell them who they are and whose they are. 

On that short walk Alex also taught me that, in the craziness of life, I need to stop and be amazed at clouds and leaves.  It’s right and good and necessary. 

It’s amazing what you can learn in 45 days at a seminary.  It’s even more amazing what you can learn in 45 minutes on a walk with a toddler. 

No comments: