Friday, October 1, 2010

Crazy Week

It’s been a crazy week at the Ten Haken’s.  We received a call on Monday from Jessica’s family that her (paternal) grandmother was failing rapidly and would likely pass away before the end of the week.  Well, we got the call early Wednesday morning that she died peacefully early Tuesday morning and she went home to meet her heavenly father after 88 years here on earth.  This was not an unexpected event as she had been in the hospital for several weeks prior to this. 

So all day Wednesday we made plans to travel to St. Catharines for the visitation and funeral.  That meant contacting the kids’ schools to get homework for Thursday and Friday, it meant Jessica cancelling some planned subbing at Dutton Christian School on both those days and it meant me arranging things with both work and school.  Oh, and it also meant finding a hermit crab sitter!  Thanks to our great neighbors, the Yondo’s, for helping us out with that.

The plan was for me go to class yet on Thursday morning (I’ve got church history from 8:00 until 9:15) while Jessica got the kids and the car ready.  She’d pick me up from the seminary and we’d hit the road.  She could drive, while I studied.  Great….

Well, during the night Wednesday night, Jessica got the flu.  She was up a lot in the night and by the time Thursday morning came around she was in no condition to be driving a vehicle, much less finish packing the kids and the car for the trip.  So, I got up early and went to campus, made arrangements to miss my AM class and came back home to pack the car. We hit the road about 9 and Jessica (tried to) sleep while I drove.

We arrived safe and sound at her parents in the late afternoon and got ready for the visitation.   Jessica and the kids stayed home from that and I went with the rest of her family.  I must admit it was strange to be there as an in-law and without my better half, but everyone was very gracious and I was glad to be able to be there.

Jessica woke up today feeling much better and was able to attend the funeral which was a true celebration of a full life lived before the face of God.  Jessica’s grandmother left a wonderful legacy of faith for all those that knew her and we’ve enjoyed our time here with family.  Pretty much  everyone was here so it was good opportunity for the aunts, uncles, and cousins to see each other and reconnect.

So, I’ve been trying to keep up with studying by doing a little this afternoon and hopefully tomorrow.  We are planning to head back home on Sunday sometime.  I missed both Hebrew and Bible Survey on Friday, so I’ll do my best to stay on top of those while we’re here.  I did miss a Hebrew quiz on Friday that I’ll be able to make up on Monday. 

It was good that we now live close enough to be able to make this rather quick trip to be with the family and attend the funeral.  Please pray for a safe trip back on Sunday and for no one else to get sick.  And give thanks to God for the legacy of faith that families pass down from one generation to the next. 


Kelli TenHaken said...

Yuck! Sorry about the flu Jess! That was bad timing. I am glad you did get to go to the funeral though; hopefully you guys have a calmer few days before the busy weekend again!

Beth said...

Glad you are home again and feeling better, Jess. Life is so hectic at times, isn't it? Can't wait to see you all this week. I think it will be on Thursday! See you then...

Love, Mom